Wednesday, January 5, 2011

If at First You Don't Succeed...

We are trying again.

Since my previous round of Clomid and IUI didn't succeed and I had significant visual side effects, I can't continue to take Clomid. Following an ultrasound which showed a lot of small follicles and a blood draw for my estrogen levels, Dr. K prescribed Follistim. Things looked pretty good so Dr. K gave me to "go ahead" to start daily Follistim injections at a low dose of 75 IU. The injections really aren't bad. The sticker shock of $600 for two vials was MUCH worse.

After 3 days I went back in for another blood draw to check my estrogen levels. Too high, too high! Dr. K explained that women with PCOS have a very narrow therapeutic range with FSH injections and even a small amount can over stimulate the ovaries. If they are over stimulated the chances of becoming another octomom go up and so does the risk for Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome (OHSS)...which can be, but is rarely deadly. Yikes. We toned it down a notch and he had me reduce my injection amount to 37.5 IU each day for the next two days.

Today I went back for another ultrasound and estrogen level check. What we want to see are a few big follicles instead of a lot of little follicles. Yay! I have 2 follicles that are right where we want them and 2 more that are nearly there. That means I possibly have 4 follicles...or eggs (if they all release) that could fertilize and implant. Exciting! Although I DON'T want quadruplets or even triplets, it is exciting to know that my ovaries are doing what they are supposed to be doing! I have hope for this round. Honestly, with the last round I wasn't too hopeful since my lining was so thin, but this time I have 4 follicles AND my lining is thicker!

For the next 2 days I continue with the 37.5 IU injections and go back in for another blood draw and/or ultrasound on Friday. If things still look good then I will inject HCG to create a LH surge and do the IUI on Sunday! Looks like I might have enough Follistim for another round at this low dose. I wonder what the shelf life is if this round works. Hmmm....

Keep your fingers, toes, and eyes crossed! Say your prayers and send your energy!

Please and THANK YOU!

2 comments:

  1. Just said a little prayer for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for success for sure. Good luck Missy. Let me know how things go.

    ReplyDelete